Local teens are invited to connect at the library as St. Tammany Parish Library celebrates the annual Teen Tech Week™ March 4-9, 2019.
Teen Tech Week is a national initiative of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) aimed at teens, their parents, educators and other concerned adults. The purpose of the initiative is to ensure that teens are competent and ethical users of technology, especially the types offered through libraries. Teen Tech Week encourages teens to take advantage of the FREE technology at libraries for education and recreation, to recognize that librarians are qualified, trusted professionals who can help them achieve greater digital literacy, but mostly to give teens the chance to come hang out at the library with their friends.
Teens are encouraged to celebrate Teen Tech Week for the entire month of March. Jennifer Rifino, Teen Services Coordinator, hopes to attract a wide variety of teenagers and increase teen technology literacy locally by offering a series of events including:
- Feb 26–March 31 | Get Punched @ the Library |Bookmarks with a punch card featuring tech/digital library resources will be distributed to teens ages 12 to 18 throughout the month. Get 5 punches by the end of March for a chance to win an iTunes gift card!
- March 4–9 | An online focus of “The Top 5 Non-Print Services @ The Library”, where a different service will be featured each weekday on the website’s online event calendar and the teen webpage. Be sure to check for surprise contests!
- Mar 6 | 3:00-5:00 pm | Movie Matinee| Join us at the Slidell Branch for a free viewing of Transformers (PG13). Popcorn will be served!
- Mar 6 | 1:00-2:00 pm | Tech Crafts| Join us at the Madisonville Branch for free tech tips and to make tech magnets.
- Mar 7 | 3:00-4:00 pm | Tech Crafts| Join us at the South Slidell Branch for free tech tips and to make a cool diskette notebook.
- Mar 8 | 2:00-4:00 pm | Movie Matinee| Join us at the Madisonville Branch for a free viewing of Ready Player One (PG13). Popcorn will be served!
These events are free and open to teens ages 12 - 18. For those teens looking to read about techie things, the teen department has created a list of titles to chose from in our catalog.
Teen Tech Week is held annually the second week of March. For more information, visit www.ala.org/teentechweek.