NewspaperArchive is a historical newspaper database, international in scope, which contains tens of millions of newspaper pages dating from 1607 onwards. The newspapers are full text searchable and can also be browsed by date or by location. With its redesign, which launched on March 25th, here is a reintroduction to using NewspaperArchive for your research.
- On the homepage, you’ll see a simple search box. It will automatically be set to a name search.
- You can click on the Keyword tab to make it a keyword search, or, if you want to search by newspaper title, you can click on the Titles tab.
- Click ‘Go to Advanced Search’ underneath the simple search box.
- Here, you can search by a name, by search terms, or an exact phrase. You can choose to exclude certain words from your search. You can also construct a search that is narrowed by date and/or location or publication title.
Browse Newspapers by Location
- Select ‘Browse by Location’ in the top menu.
- Select the county, then the state or region in the country that you are interested in.
- Once you narrow your search to a state, you can then narrow your search to a city, or you can select all cities to search the entire state.
- Narrowing your search to a city will show you the newspaper(s) available for that city.
- Click on one newspaper to conduct a name or keyword search within that paper.
Browse Newspapers by Date
- Select ‘Browse by Date’ in the top menu.
- Under ‘Browse Newspaper Archives by Century’, select the century that you are interested in.
- This will bring you to a landing page for that particular century, where you can search only within that date range.
- If you scroll down, you can select a specific year from that century.
- Now you will have a landing page that allows you to search only within that year. On that same landing page, you will have a list of newspapers published in that year.
- If you click on a specific newspaper, you will see a calendar view that shows when the paper was published in that year. Red circles denote dates of publication.
- If you click on a date with a red circle, you will see the newspaper published on that date.
Create a User Account
- This is a free user account as part of the St. Tammany Parish Library subscription to NewspaperArchive. You will be able to access it from home, as long as you are accessing the database through the library website. You do not need an individual paid membership with NewspaperArchive in order to access your account.
- Click on ‘Create a free account’ in the top right corner of the homepage.
- Complete the registration form, and check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions. The small print language about ‘billing information’ does not apply to the free account that you are creating through the library’s subscription.
- The user account allows you to save searches, save and organize clippings, and create an archive.
How to Make a Clipping
- Click on the scissors icon.
- Select the rectangle tool.
- Click and drag the outline of the box to include your clipping.
- Use the dropdown menu to tag the clipping.
- Type a suggested tag.
- Select a clipping folder. If you want to create a new folder, type a folder name into the free-text box and then click on ‘Create folder’
- When you are ready to save the clipping, click on the ‘Clip’ button.
- A message will appear telling you that the clipped article has been saved in your Treasure Box. You can then click on the Download button to download the clipping, either as a pdf or a png.
- To see your clippings and your folders, click on My Account in the top right hand corner, and click on Favorite Pages. If you would like to print a clipped article instead of the full article, you will have the option to print your clippings from Favorite Pages.