- Library cards are free of charge to residents of St. Tammany Parish.
- Children must be at least 5 years old to obtain a library card.
- A picture ID and proof of address must be shown to obtain a library card. (Children under 16 excluded.)
- A child's parent or legal guardian must be present to obtain a library card if a child is 17 years of age or younger.
- A St. Tammany Parish Library card may be used at any of our branches.
- Non-residents of St. Tammany Parish may purchase an out of parish library card for an annual fee of $30.00.
- Lost library cards can be replaced for $3.00.
- No one may check out library materials without a library card in hand.
- There are no limits to the amount of items borrowed at one time.
- Anyone with fines in excess of $5.00 or items more than two weeks overdue, may not borrow any additional items until the fines have been paid or the items returned.
- Children under the age of 17 may not borrow NC-17 and R rated videos without their parent or legal guardian's consent.
- Items can be returned to any branch.
- Books- 28 days
- DVDs-7 days
- Audiobooks- 28 days
- CDs- 28 days
If the St. Tammany Parish Library does not own a particular item, we can attempt to borrow it from another library system through InterLibrary Loan.
- Items that can be borrowed include books, audiobooks, videos and microfilm.
- Photocopies of magazine and newspaper articles may also be requested.
- We do not borrow genealogy materials through ILL. However, the Covington Branch is a Family History Center and microfilm may be borrowed from the Family History Library in Utah for a fee.
- Items may take several weeks to be delivered.
- There is a limit of 5 open ILL requests and 10 ILL items on loan at any one time.
- There is a $1.00 per day fine for InterLibrary Loan items returned late.
Hold Requests for Physical Items
- Hold requests can be placed on any item in the St. Tammany Parish Library's collection, with the exception of non-circulating materials.
- Hold requests may be placed at the library, by telephone or by using the online catalog.
Renewals for Physical Items
- Any circulating item can be renewed once, as long as no one else had requested the item.
- Renewals may be completed in person, by telephone or through the online catalog.
- InterLibrary Loan materials may be renewed at the discretion of the lending library.
Fines are as follows for overdue physical materials:
- Books- 10¢ per day
- CDs- 10¢ per day
- DVDs- 25¢ per day
- InterLibrary Loan materials- $1 per day
The maximum fine for any item (excluding InterLibrary Loan items) is $5.00.