1000 Books Before Kindergarten
We are GROWING Readers with our 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Reading Challenge!
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a free family reading program, which encourages families with young children to have fun reading together while building crucial early literacy skills!
The concept is simple, and the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1000 books (yes you can repeat books) before your precious one starts kindergarten. Does it sound hard? Not really if you think about it. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think (so get started).
The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Challenge
WHO: Any child from birth until they enter kindergarten can participate.
WHAT: The challenge is simple, read any book to your child with the goal of reading 1,000 before kindergarten.
WHERE: Register at any St. Tammany Parish Library or online with our Beanstack App: sttammanylibrary.beanstack.org. Visit any branch to receive your paper reading log, bookmark, and magnet picture frame. You can also download and print a copy of the reading log HERE.
WHEN: This program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years to complete. It is self-paced. Even if you read one book a day, that’s 365 books in a year and in three years you will reach the goal!
WHY: Studies show that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. You are also helping them get ready to learn in school.
HOW: Using a paper reading log, color in a flower for every book you read together. You can also log your books online with our Beanstack App: sttammanylibrary.beanstack.org.
PRIZES: After each 100 books read, visit your favorite branch with your child so they can receive a special sticker, take a milestone picture, and get their new log. When you reach 1000 books (10 logs) your child will receive a certificate and a special BAG!
WHAT COUNTS: Any book that is read to your child. Readers include teachers, family, friends, and Storytime. It’s okay if your child wants to read the same book over and over. Repetition is key to learning! Each time a book is read, it counts. You can even listen to audiobooks together!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How old do you have to be to participate? The program is for children from birth to about 5 years old. Anyone who has not started kindergarten yet.
- Do I have to read a different book each time? It’s okay if the child wants to read the same book over and over. Repetition is key to learning! Each time a book is read, it counts.
- Do I have to use library books? Any book that is read to the child counts. Families can read books from the library, school or from home.
- Who can do the reading? Anyone can read the books: teachers, siblings, grandparents, and even books read at Storytime!
- How do I keep track of the books? Families can log their time in Beanstack, on our paper log, or both!
- Is there a deadline for participation? There is no deadline for this program. Families can start anytime. Families read at their own pace. Some will finish in a few months; some may take a few years.