In this series, we have been discovering the wonderful world of the World Book databases. In this blog, we will examine the World Book Activity Corner database. According to World Book Activity Corner,, opens a new window it contains, "thousands of cross-curricular, low-cost, fun yet educational projects for the classroom, after-school programs, and library programming." World Book Activity Corner is found on the St. Tammany Parish Library website in the Kids Page, opens a new window under Online Library, opens a new window, but activities can be used by all ages. For safety precautions, younger children may require supervision from an adult or guardian to complete projects.
World Book Activity Corner allows you to browse projects by keywords, and refine search by age, type of activity, culture, time to complete, cost of materials, and holiday themes. The featured activity is also on the landing page with details of an exciting craft to make. The featured craft changes frequently, so many exciting crafts are displayed. You can also create and share a collection of your projects, activities, and crafts with other users of the World Book Activity Corner database.
To examine this database, the category, "Christmas" under the holiday theme category was selected. After selecting the theme, many Christmas crafts are displayed. You can browse through the list searching for a desired craft.
Here's an exciting Christmas craft from World Book Activity Corner.
Pom Pom Snowman
Pom-poms: 2-1/2-inch (6.4-centimeters), 2-inch (5-centimeters), 1-inch (2.5-centimeters)
Hot glue gun, glue sticks
5/8-inch (1.6-centimeter) top hat
3-1/2-inch (9-centimeter) broom
8-inch (20-centimeter) striped knit scarf, 7/8 inch (2.2 centimeters) wide
1/2-inch (1.3-centimeter) plastic carrot
2 wiggle eyes, 4mm each (0.16 inches)
3 black beads, 4mm each (0.16 inches)
8 inches (20 centimeters) white satin ribbon, 1/8 inch (0.3-centimeter) wide
Be sure to follow all directions and safety warnings!
- Find center of 2-1/2-inch (6.4-centimeter) and 2-inch (5-centimeter) poms, and glue centers together with hot glue. Attach 1-inch (2.5-centimeter) pom to 2-inch (5-centimeter) pom-pom in same way, forming a snowman.
- Hot glue top hat to top of 1-inch (2.5-centimeter) pom.
3. Lay broom diagonally across snowman, and hot glue upper end of broom to hat's brim.
4. Hot glue lower part of broom to bottom pom.
5.Tie scarf around snowman's neck, with knot at side opposite broom.
6. Snip off tip of carrot. Hot glue tip to top pom for nose
7. With craft glue and tweezers, glue wiggle eyes in place. Glue beads on second pom for buttons. Let dry.
8. Fold ribbon in half; make an overhand knot 1/2 inch (1.3 centimeters) from open ends. Hot glue folded end to back of hat.